Oil Based and Water Based Paints
• Dab stain before it dries with white spirit, once removed wash in hot water with detergent.
• If dried use equal part ammonia and turpentine, saturate the spot for several minutes then wash in warm soapy water.
Ball point pen
• Dab ink stain with hydrogen peroxide solution (1 part peroxide: 6 parts water), then machine wash. (Do not try on delicate or nylons.)
• Use shaving foam (not gel) or hairspray on stain and then machine wash.
• Scrape off what you can, then dab with methylated spirits. Rinse then wash as normal.
Felt Tip Pen
• Blot with a kitchen towel then wash as normal.
• Rub milk on the stain, then wash at 40C.
Grease, Fats, and Oils
• Use a pre-wash stain remover or rub liquid laundry detergent on stain, wash in as hot water as the fabric can take. Repeat as necessary.
• From washable fabrics soak in vinegar solution, then wash using biological laundry detergent and in wash stain remover.
• Non washable fabrics – Dry clean. Or if brave try sponging area with light vinegar water solution. (For wool use lemon juice instead.)
Coffee or Tea
• Mix together an egg and warm water, generously sponge on fabric, scrub (if fabric allows). Wash as normal.
• Stubborn stains may be removed by soaking in 1:2 clear vinegar and water solution.
• Blot with paper towel as much as possible. Soak in sparkling or soda water, blot again. Repeat as necessary. Then sponge with soapy water and blot dry again.
• Pour white wine on the stain immediately and then blot (not rub) with paper towel. Then sponge it with warm water.
• If stain has set – Wet stained area with dishwashing liquid and hydrogen peroxide, then start blotting it dry. Mixture can also be added to washing machine, wash as normal.
• Wash in as hot water as fabric can take using biological detergent.
• Older stains can be soaked in detergent and warm water.
• Make a paste of baking soda and club soda spread over stain and let it sit. Wash out by blotting with wet paper towel. Then wash as normal.
• Wash in cold water immediately.
• If still persists soak in 1 quart warm water, 1/2 teaspoon dishwashing liquid or liquid laundry detergent and 1 tablespoon ammonia. Blot with absorbent pad. Rinse once stain is removed, then wash normally.
• Scrape off as much as you can with a blunt knife. Rub fabric against fabric with liquid dish soap. Wash as usual.
• Use petroleum jelly on the stain before fabric goes in the wash.
• Lay fabric face down on a cloth and dab the stain from the other side with nail polish remover. If stain persists try dry cleaning.
• Scrape carefully to remove what you can. Hold a cloth or paper towel over the stain while you apply eucalyptus oil or heavy duty hand cleanser to the other side. Rinse well and wash.
• Scrape as much as you can with a blunt knife. Then soak in washing powder and water solution. Wash as normal using as hot a wash as the fabric can take.
Curry and Mustard
• Apply dish detergent immediately, then wash as normal.
• Stubborn stains can be treated with hydrogen peroxide solution (test on inconspicuous area first.)
• Mix equal parts vinegar and water pour on stain and try scraping off the stain, or blotting the stain with paper towel or cloth.
• Try using an in- wash stain remover.
• Harden the wax with an ice cube. Scrape of as much was as you can with a blunt knife then cover what is left with paper towel or old cloth and iron over top of garment with a warm iron. Wash fabric in as hot a wash as fabric can handle.
• On white clothing, rub molasses on stain and wash in as hot a setting as fabric can take.
• Use proprietary stain remover, wash in as hot a setting as fabric can take using biological washing detergent.
• Pre-soak than wash as usual using biological laundry detergent.
Hair – dye
• Soak in solution of washing powder and cold water, then wash as normal using biological detergent..
• Liberally spray hairspray on the fabric immediately, then wash as soon as possible.
• Don’t rub! Use sticky tape and get off as much as you can.
• Apply a paste of baking soda and lemon juice to stain, leave to penetrate for a couple hours, then wash as usual. (Test inconspicuous area first.)
• Shake out solids in toilet, then rinse item in cold water. Rub liquid laundry detergent into stain, then wash as normal.
• Use soda water on stain immediately. Dab area with paper towel, do not rub!